Author Topic: lifelines  (Read 56 times)

Allen Townsend

• U20 Middle Lifer
    • When I am not sailing
lifelines
« on: March 19, 2021, 05:31:26 PM »
I have two questions on lifelines.

I put a full set of lifelines on my boat when I got it some time ago.   By that I mean the lifelines are complete around the boat with a bow pulpit and side rails which fasten to the deck fore and aft of the stays. I got these from Ultimate Sailboats as they were recommended for PHRF racing.  I am considering replacing at least the side rail/stantion with the more common one on U20s which ends behind the stays.  Does anyone have comments on doing this and/or a source for these parts? 

Also, I have seen people using a strap instead of the padded cover on wire for the lifelines in the cockpit.  Can anyone comment on these as an alternative?  Can you refer me to a source?

Thanks,
Allen
U20#7  Bomazeen

Travis Gregory

• Administrator
  • U20 Enthusiast
  • U20 - 222
Re: lifelines
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2021, 04:33:03 PM »
Hi Allen,

Try contacting Columbia.  I think they have a source that built the stanchions for the boats in Southern CA.  If you e-mail me I can send you Canepa's e-mail address.  I think he has the contact.

I am moving to a strap this year in hopes of improving comfort.  I looked at a couple of sources, including padded hiking straps like you see on a Melges 24.  For now I am trying 2.5 inch strap material from sailrite.  A stainless triangle ring sewed into each end.   Then lashings to the stanchions.   I think they are going tow work well and be a lot more comfortable to lean against. 

I'll post a picture when I get them installed.  They are still in the garage waiting for the boat to emerge from winter storage.